Opinion: Katy Perry, Please Go Away, You Aren’t Loved (Anymore)

I’m just like most of America. The first time I heard Katy Perry, I was instantly in love with the sound. There was a small town vibe mixed in with all of those catchy lyrics and dangling hooks. She was a true singer and songwriter who you wanted to stand behind and support. She had the pop music world by the throat with her immensely catchy party song “I Kissed A Girl” but then showed that she was a legitimate artist with mega-hits like “Waking Up In Vegas,” which sold over 1.7 million copies (U.S.).

Then came the big switch. In the two years between her major debut and a sophomore release, she went from adorable, girl next door singer songwriter with a guitar, to annoying run of the mill performer with no identity. Maybe it was the makeup. She went from pulling off the doe eyed cute girl in math class and turned into the obnoxious bitch who wouldn’t give you the time of day. Remember the movie Mean Girls? She is what I would now call a “plastic.”

Maybe it’s the Hollywood boyfriend? Now that she’s married to Russell Brand, it seems like she feels the need to play that role. Anytime she speaks on camera, instead of being grateful, she just comes off as a self deserving artist. While this is a common play in the music industry, I’m not sure she has quite the resume of other rock diva’s.

I can’t pretend to know what happened to Katy Perry. The end effect is reflected in her music. Each song from her latest album Teenage Dream is worse than the one before it. With one or two exceptions, the album borders on unlistenable after just two or three plays through. This idea that she wants to dress like Lady Gaga, sing like Rihanna and date like Britney Spears is ludicrous. She has zero identity and is living in the shadows of artists that have outperformed her on every level.

Here’s what’s needed. Turn the engines off. Let yourself cool down and then go back to what you do best. Write great songs and sing them. When you have the chance, let your audience hear an acoustic version of one of these hawty-tawty songs like “California Gurls” instead of doing what everyone else is doing (getting all dressed up and singing in front of a pair of male dancers). From a girl in a coffee bar at SXSW, Perry is certainly not in Kansas anymore. I wanted to like her new music. I wanted to continue to support her. I’m here to tell you that she just isn’t all that talented anymore and if she is, she’s burying it deep inside in order to fit a genre stereotype.[poll id="11"]

• Comment by Jo posted December 04, 2010 at 14:51

Um… did you mean TIME of day?

Anyway, no, she was NEVER cute or cool, most people knew that immediately when she first got known with her crappy, attention-whore song “I Kissed A Girl”.

• Comment by Michael S. Mahoney posted December 04, 2010 at 15:12

Harris, you couldn’t be more right. As Katy’s best shtick is to dress and tease like Lolita, a modicum of innocence and “aww shucks” is not only missing but missed. Agreed, she was a crush maker, a cheeky head turner, but Katy now needs to “cool down” as you said, swapping Harper’s Bazaar for a little low-rent. “Brick By Brick” and “I’m Still Breathing” prove that she has a soul. She should try to retrieve it. By the way, she opted out of doing high school gymnasium shows this year after going supernova with her inferior sophomore major (my sis-in-law does some of her marketing, thus the info). Tells you everything you need to know. Unfortunately, now that she’s married and a red carpet recidivist, there’s little liklihood that she’ll make much decent music anymore. We’ll see.

• Comment by Jon posted December 04, 2010 at 15:23

i completely agree that she’s gone south… Jo you’re a moron for thinking that… if that was the case she wouldn’t have sold any albums… she definitely needs to level off. shes doing puppet shows for some reason, (first sesame street and now a Simpsons puppet show) i think shes trying to do something controversial like brittany or gaga, but whatever it is she’s failing miserably. Also please dont ever quote mean girls again…

• Comment by Wayne posted December 05, 2010 at 04:11

I disagree with this article simply because of the fact that Katy brings an astounding innocence that Pop culture really needs right now. She’s classy, very imaginative, and still manages to retain her innocence despite her experience. She’s a very positive role model for the younger generation (maybe with the exception of “I kissed a girl”, lol… Which is a guilty pleasure for most of us) But compared to the massive amounts of sexploitation propagated by the media, she’s a pretty safe bet. She still has many years left in her. (Besides, look at how cute and talented she is!!!)

• Comment by jay posted December 06, 2010 at 23:28

One word for the author: HATER! I mean, I’m not particularly a fan of Katy Perry and as a matter of fact I hate California girls, but she is a unique character and you can see it in her videos and interviews.People have crappy songs after a smash hit, so what! They make other smash songs or they just die down having one good song (Sisqo. The point is they made sumn nice for the ears at some point.

• Comment by Mark Townley posted December 14, 2010 at 14:57

Mark Townley is a huge fan of Katy Perry. You go girl!x

• Comment by Doo-doo-dookie posted July 31, 2011 at 22:02

I never loved her garbage music. She sucks. She’s not adorable, clever, or even remotely interesting.

• Comment by Morgan posted August 02, 2011 at 23:36

You are completely insane to think that Katy Perry has gone south. After growing up in a religious household and not being allowed to watch things like MTV, one would expect that if give the chance to experience something you weren’t allowed to do as a child that you would have a feel day with it. I don’t know her personally but from what I see she is doing something many people such as Britney Spears and Lady Gaga even now are trying to do, they’re trying to connect with people in a way that no one has since the Beatles. If you would actually take the time to listen to the lyrics of her songs such as Not like the Movies, Lost, Pearl, Thinking of you, Firework and so on, you would realize how relate-able these songs are. And as for her more up-beat songs such as Teenage Dream, they are putting a positive twist on what is usually the hardest time in a persons life.

On another note, SHE IS GORGEOUS. Seriously if you can’t see that you have a problem. Every girl loves to wear make-up and dress up sometimes, you can’t blame her for that. That doesn’t mean shes another stereotypical artist. Also, from interviews to magazines, from what i’ve heard and read she is one of the most grateful and humble people I can think of and on that note she respects herself and her relationship. She’s not like everyone else. Her personal life is, for the most part, kept separate from her fame, and if you can’t respect someone like that and what they stand for, then you don’t deserve much respect in return.

• Comment by louise posted December 21, 2011 at 14:02

I love you

• Comment by louise posted December 21, 2011 at 14:02

katy

• Comment by theresa posted March 22, 2012 at 02:17

I would really like to say that shes just way too clueless about her motives! Wish she knew that if her songs parallel her life that she might be more positive about her lyrics and her feelings. I would like her new song, but I change it now, every time I hear it. I don’t like she says never in it because this universe can’t hear it so the song seems to desructive to listen to. Please choose your words girl because when you sing with so much emotion this universe sends it right back to you. Love her though.

• Comment by Ron Swanson posted April 03, 2012 at 18:46

I have no idea why she’s got the fame. Talent agency (and all her surrounding) must be really smart how to market her.. I am so sick and tired of seeing her everywhere I access on the internet, wondering what’s really making her popular. To me, she’s not a strong talent nor a public figure. I just don’t get it.