Kings Of Leon Fall Short, Need to Go Away

I’m all for huge singles. I love when songs get played over and over on the radio but when is enough enough. That time is right now for Kings of Leon. The band that everyone seemed to love in 2009 has run it’s course and needs to record something new or drive their tour bus into Davey Jones Locker.

My big issue with them is the huge amount of fame they have acheived putting a mediocre product on the field. Great singles have lasting power and the singles from the debut album “Only By The Night” are failing to live up to my expectations. Don’t get me wrong, after hearing “Use Somebody” once I liked it. After five times I no longer liked it and the subsequent 5.434 million times I’ve heard it have not helped it’s cause.
“Sex On Fire” the first single was just a bad song. For me, each of these bands songs sound too similar for me to give them fair listening to. I get bored easily and eventually drift away. Even now as I write I have the album on track two and am already being lulled to sleeeeppppp….
Oh sorry you almost lost me there. My final problem with the band goes back to the lack of quality product. Even if you liked the singles, the album is overhyped and not worthy of the credit it is being given. Here’s my hope and advice for Kings of Leon. Go into the studio, record another album and make it good. Personally, I don’t think this band will enjoy a successful next album because living up to a hyped single like “Use Somebody” will never happen for them again.

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 06, 2009 at 13:16

KoL have already released 3 studio albums so they will not be releasing their sophomore album but rather their fourth… and all three of them are really solid. Taper jean girl was featured in the movie Disturbia as well… research pall… research

• Comment by Jenna Rosenberg posted October 06, 2009 at 17:22

First thing you should know is "Only By The Night" was their sophomore album. Their debut album was VERY different from this one so you should check it out. Second, this album was actually a fantastic album. Yes, "Use Somebody" was WAY overplayed this year, but the rest of the album has great lyrics and great music. They did it right, in my opinion… Read More

• Comment by David Hitchings posted October 06, 2009 at 17:22

actually this isn't even their sophomore album, these guys have been making back music since 2002. this just happens to be their most successful (aka least worst).

• Comment by Jon posted October 06, 2009 at 17:22

i was anonymous on the comment but looks like ur getting owned and i have to agree here… KoL are great… give them a second listen

• Comment by Stephen Pertesis posted October 06, 2009 at 17:23

I've been listening to these guys since their second release "Aha Shake Heartbreak" and they've always been great in having the perfect balance of pop melodies, arrangments, and quirk. Maybe someone needs to STOP listening to the radio. If you really want to be on top of what's hip, the radio is NOT where to find it.

• Comment by Harris posted October 06, 2009 at 17:23

I have already addressed my oversight, I meant to say that it was KOL's second major release (major indicated by radio and downloads). To address other points, this is a pop music blog so, the radio is one of the best indicators of whats popular, I couldn't care less about being 'hip.'

• Comment by Harris posted October 06, 2009 at 17:23

My overarching point is that the album isn't good, they are very overrated and I'm sick of hearing "Use Somebody" on the radio.

• Comment by Stephen Pertesis posted October 06, 2009 at 17:24

I disagree and think they're great! Oh look…now I'M a music critic too. I'm sure people will care about my view over just listening to what they love anyway.

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 06, 2009 at 17:37

Are you serious? "Only by the night" is a great album and just shows another level they have achieved in their music. They have released four albums including only by the night. They also have the mollys chamber ep available. Each album has topped the last and they only have great things in their future. They are very respected in the industry and have many loyal followers. It's not fair to write them off as one hit wonders just because you haven't done your research. Long live the kings.

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 06, 2009 at 17:46

Use somebody is a solid single. Calebs vocals are great. Why do people feel the need to hate on this amazing band. They happen to be the only modern band I listen to, it's because their music timeless. And plus they are the best live act out there.

• Comment by Harris posted October 06, 2009 at 17:50

I've done my research. Just because you like KOL doesn't make them a great band. "Only By the Night" is their first album to achieve gold or platinum status and not one of their previous singles has been certified. The research can be found on the main article update…

Also, if you think they are the best live act out there you haven't seen too many modern bands.

• Comment by katy posted October 06, 2009 at 19:22

Harris, this is one for the books. I actually agree with you! :)

Kings of Leon suck. Suck suck suck. I immediately change the radio station when that godawful song (Use Somebody…the whoa oh ohs need to chill the f out) comes on. ick

• Comment by Paige Lindsay posted October 06, 2009 at 20:11

if you get sick of a song..just change the radio station. or better yet–put on a cd.. then you don't have to listen to the crap they play on the radio.

• Comment by Steve Pertesis posted October 06, 2009 at 21:54

here's the shitty thing though…you titled your blog "the truth about music." Now, I'm not going to get into a debate on art being subjective, etc etc, but come ON man. How narcissistic do you have to be to do that? Music critics fill a necessary evil void. People like reading that crap like gossip. That's all it is. Music critics do and say nothing important. If they were doing something important, they themselves would be the ones to actual MAKE the music. Your opinion is FAR from truth. So is mine. It is valid for your life, but it's laughable that you try to pass it off as something more. Like Paige said: "Change the radio station." So NO I am NOT going to check out your blog.

• Comment by paige posted October 06, 2009 at 22:04

you said- "just because you like KOL doesn't make them a great band"

and just because you don't like them doesn't make them a bad band.

there are plenty of artists out there with gold or platinum status that are incredibly awful sounding. just becuase you don't have a gold or platinum album doesn't make you a good band.

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 06, 2009 at 22:05

owned

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 06, 2009 at 22:07

example: soulja boy… retard multiplatinum artist cant even put together a complete sentence. not a good artist

• Comment by Harris posted October 06, 2009 at 22:20

I will answer paige's post in a few points.

A. Anything said on The Truth About Music is my viewpoint. They are a bad band according to me.

B. I never said they were a terrible band, I simply stated that I did not like them and want them to go away quickly.

C. The point about the gold and platinum status is well taken but I was being told that this wasn't Kings of Leon's first time around the block. I refuse to give credit to an album that does not get a fair circulation. Just because they've released a few other albums, doesn't mean those albums were any good. The lack of a single, to me and most general pop music fans, makes them irrelevant.

D. In closing, that last comment about Soulja Boy is irrelevant. Soulja Boy never had a platinum (or gold) album. He did have a 3x platinum single but I'll be the first to say that doesn't give him credit.

• Comment by Greg posted October 06, 2009 at 22:27

cleary still bitter from this weekend. KoL is a good band, not the second coming of christ as some might say but a solid band. They just dont have that hardcore teeny pop sound that you like. If it was a fob song that was being played as many times you would be praising its lasting power instead of its annoyances.

To all the haters of the writer: the kid is just trying to voice an opinion no need to take this as a personal attack against you. If you hate it so much write your own blog and give it a catchy name like "the lies about the truth about music" otherwise take the post for what it is; one persons critique of an album.

• Comment by Greg posted October 06, 2009 at 22:35

also if that blog is made i would gladly be your first follower.

• Comment by Harris posted October 06, 2009 at 22:43

Greg, you finally make some reasonable points. I would like to point out that I did like the singles but the grew boring a tired after a while. Great singles do not fade and never get old. Off the top of my head, songs like "Boom Boom Pow" and "Viva La Vida." Notice, I hate Coldplay but that song is great.

Finally, I would like to point out that I do get sick of Fall Out Boy songs just like everyone else. I am no longer playing their latest album regularly. Just because I like the band dosen't mean I'll love the singles.

Also, I really want someone to start "The lies about the truth about music." It will be the joker to my batman!!

• Comment by Greg posted October 06, 2009 at 22:48

harris if anything your penguin…and bitter

• Comment by Greg posted October 06, 2009 at 22:49

you're**

• Comment by Jay posted October 07, 2009 at 08:58

"I refuse to give credit to an album that does not get a fair circulation. Just because they've released a few other albums, doesn't mean those albums were any good. The lack of a single, to me and most general pop music fans, makes them irrelevant"

You should probably rephrase that to clarify the fact that you seem to think America = The World. Kings Of Leon's first three albums were hits in Europe, South America, Australia & New Zealand. Their 3rd album reached no. 1 in the UK, Ireland and Australia and all three albums spawned everal hit singles. Just because you were unaware of their first three albums doesn't mean the majority of music fans were :)

• Comment by hussong posted October 07, 2009 at 09:20

Boom Boom Pow….a lasting single? Are you retarded? You clearly don't listen to anything good, and obviously listen to top 40, so your opinion means nothing when it comes to "truth about music." This blog is a joke. Go turn up your Black Eyed Peas, and "go away quickly." Coldplay…..all they do is copy other bands songs. I just barfed a little.

• Comment by Harris posted October 07, 2009 at 09:21

If you've read before it's pretty clear that I only comment on American music. I did my research, I know that they've sold very well overseas. For me, that has no bearing. Also, you quote me in that first part of your comment, I never refer to the world as you said.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to more of these debates with everyone in the future. Anything else we've left off?

• Comment by Harris posted October 07, 2009 at 09:23

To respond to hussong, I respect your view point on that song. This is once again a pop music blog. Indie artists won't find much love here. I appreciate your response though and hope that you can find something you'll like in the coming weeks. Maybe an old interview with 'indie' rockers Vampire Weekend can be found in the archives for you.

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 07, 2009 at 12:00

You only comment on "American music", yet Coldplay are British. You really need to rethink the title of your blog, there's barely any truth in what you have posted here, both in blog and comments

• Comment by Harris posted October 07, 2009 at 12:18

So your right, you are very intelligent that Coldplay are from Britain. What you forget is that I am commenting on American Music, not music made in America. American music for me is defined by any music played in America or sold in America.

Thanks for reading!!

PS. We have gotten very side tracked from the original argument. The point of the article is simple Kings of Leon are overrated.

• Comment by Greg posted October 07, 2009 at 15:16

heres one from logic class:

A music critic is a person
    therefore a bad music critic is a bad person

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 07, 2009 at 15:40

^what constitutes as 'bad'? using the same logic, if a pop music critic (as the main poster claims to be) a pop person? a good music critic is a good person? how is it logical to place any adjective in any statement to modify it's truth? where is the truth in either statement? do you believe those to be true? does belief constitute truth? can it be true then, if truth is based in belief, if you are the only one who believes it to be true?

• Comment by Greg posted October 07, 2009 at 18:53

its not logical, in fact its a fallacy. it was supposed to be a joke no need to look into it that much.

• Comment by Jay posted October 08, 2009 at 06:53

Ok, so first you only comment on pop music, then you only comment on American music, then you redefine "American music" as music that isn't actually American but is played or sold in America…? With that many caveats, it's hard to find any meaning in your post/comments for someone who loves music regardless of genre/nationality/sales.

As for KOL, their current success in the States is based on 6 straight years of hit albums and non-stop touring. It's been a steady rise for them – not some overnight sensation – so I wouldn't agree that their talent is overrated or worry about their staying power in the future.

• Comment by Harris posted October 08, 2009 at 11:11

My lord, the clarification really needs to stop. I comment on Pop Music, Played in America, that's it. Also, I love plenty of artists that have never sold a lot of records, KOL just isn't one of them.

When you say that KOL has 6 straight years of "hit albums" that confuses me. How are you defining a "hit album?" People within music generally would define that as a huge selling album. Just because you thought it was a good album, doesn't make it a "hit."

• Comment by paige posted October 08, 2009 at 11:27

KOL has worked hard to get where they are, and i'm sure they will continue to work hard to be noticed by everyone and become even more of a hit. they are by no means a "panic at the disco–blow up overnight band".

but i mostly agree with greg- you are still bitter about sunday. lol

i think this argument has gone on for long enough. lol

• Comment by Anonymous posted October 08, 2009 at 12:09

I'm all for opinions, but please check your spelling. It's you're, not the possessive your as in "your argument was just ruined by your shitty grammar."