What Does American Idol Mean to the World of Music?

Although I had not seen one episode of American Idol the entire season, I took some time on Wednesday to watch a few episodes featuring the final two singers. Two things became immediately apparent. First, Adam Lampert could be one of the best pure singers in the entire world of pop music and Kris Allen is an incredible musician.

There is no doubt in my mind that me and Simon were both correctly disappointed that Adam did not win. It is a shame that the popularity contest known as American Idol was unable to pick the best singer the show had ever seen. I know he is not for everyone but he was the best and there is no way around that. All of that said I think Kris and Adam will go on to have amazing and long careers in music.

The main concern of my article this evening is not the outcome of the voting or about Paula’s ridiculous mindless comments but instead about what American Idol has become in America. There are music events, televised live every year that millions of people watch, seeing some of the greatest musicians the world has to offer. Among the shows are the Grammy Awards, the Country Music Awards and the Super Bowl Half-time Show. All of these live events are staples in the music world.

As of 2009 there is another show to be added to that list. The Season 8 finale of American Idol was one of the most star jammed two hours of television I have seen in a long time. Artists performing included Keith Urban, Jason Mraz, Black Eyed Peas, Rod Stewart, KISS, Queen, Cyndi Lauper, season 7 winner David Cook and many more. I’m not sure if you have seen the Grammy’s recently but this lineup of performers rivals any other live broadcast.

I really think this is a great event for music as names of the past come together with the brightest stars of the future. In a way, Brian May (Queen) and Gene Simmons (KISS) helped welcome Adam Lampert into the rock world. At the same time Keith Urban helped welcome Kris Allen to the soft rock and country music worlds. Next time you think of musics great events, remember that moving forward the American Idol Season Finale rivals anything the world of music has to offer.

• Comment by Anonymous posted May 21, 2009 at 06:31

I agree it was a great show and, while I agree that Adam has great talent, I voted for Kris. I don’t see my American Idol as ONLY the best singer but as the performer that I would like to see and hear. The one that I would buy a CD from. I don’t think Adam is everybody’s cup of tea – he’s a bit scary, to be honest. And, mostly, I don’t like being told who I like and that is what it felt like when they were pushing Adam so hard. Hooray for Kris!

• Comment by Harris posted May 21, 2009 at 09:47

Totally understand where you are coming from. Adam is a little creepy at times but the point is he has the biggest star power. Although Kris has some great talent, he isn’t very unique. I can name a dozen singers that he reminds me of. My favorite performance of his was the version of Kanye’s “Heartbreak,” showing a really amazing side of him. At the same time, his cover of One Republics “Apologize,” was basically karaoke which scared me.

• Comment by Natalie posted May 21, 2009 at 10:46

i think that both won. adam, so he doesnt have to sing ‘no boundaries’ and hopefully his debut album will be in his style and not that of the AI contract but if that does happen, his soph album will probably more true to who he is.
    kris is gonna be a great artist and his genuine surprise when he won, totally won me over. so even though kris “won”, they both have futures.

• Comment by Harris posted May 21, 2009 at 10:53

there is no doubt in my mind that they both won, the problem is that I like remembering a season with a winner. Instead, season 8 will be remembered as the season of Adam Lampert, the same way season 2 will be remembered for Clay Aiken, not Ruben. Thats my only issue with it, he was the best and deserved the crown regardless of their futures.

• Comment by David posted May 21, 2009 at 10:57

adam was not good. frankly, i think the audience got bored with him. i likened the screech on tuesday to the sounds someone would make if they had a red hot fire poker shover up thier ass. just because he can hold a ‘note’ (and i use that term very lightly) like that does not make him a good singer–and theyve rejected others earlier in the show for such escapades. in the end, the week after week progression of heavier guyliner, more bejeweled clothing, looking like hes about to cry when he sings, and the screech became offputting, unnerving and unlikable. Simon was blatently wrong in his pick this year. Kris was deservedly the better singer, the more musically capable and the better personality. he will sell ten times more cd’s than adam ever will (remember how close last years seemed) and is something simon fuller and the rest of the american public can be proud of putting on display (aka not a drag queen wannabe). i was for cook last year and kris this year, because they were the undeniable better choice.

• Comment by Harris posted May 21, 2009 at 11:07

They are both amazing talents but Kris just sounds to much like everyone else to me. There is nothing unique about him. That is what made Adam great is that you haven’t heard that classic rock style vocals in a long time.

• Comment by David posted May 21, 2009 at 12:39

your right, adam sounds okay doing music from 3 decades ago, but no one cares about that anymore, especially not on this show. this is american idol, where they find the next pop senseation–not american idol, where they find the person where had he been in his prime (rather than his diapers) 30 years ago would have sounded amazing sensation.