Grammy Reactions

First of all, I would like to say thank you to the Academy for putting on one hell of show at the 2009 Grammy’s. The show featured some awesome performances and amazing combinations of today’s up and coming stars and yesterday’s heroes. Among my favorite performances were Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers, Kid Rock, both of Kanye West’s performances and Coldplay’s two song performances. Yes, even I liked Coldplay’s performance.

Among the weakest points to this years show were the awards themselves. To me, the Grammy’s should celebrate the overall performance, recording and being that is an artist. A great example of this is represented in the best new artist category. Although Adele is an amazing singer with a bright future ahead of her, not giving the award to the Jonas Brothers is true robbery. The Jonas Brothers have come into the music scene in a huge wave, a wave that includes mass hysteria and huge concerts.

Another annoyance was Robert Plant and Allison Kraus. Although I appreciate what these two legends have done for the music world, winning all of the big categories is discouraging. The truth of the matter is that most people watching the show tonight had never even heard the album or record of the year, a year in which there were other deserving nominations in both categories.

Either way it was an awesome show and although most of my predictions (and wishes) did not come through here’s what we did learn: A. Blink 182 is Back, B. Green Day is Back, C. Stevie Wonder still rocks, D. Kanye West needs to sing less and rap more

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 10:13

if you were to think along those lines then the dark knight should win every award at the oscars, its not a popularity contest it’s about the best music

• Comment by Harris posted February 09, 2009 at 10:36

Wrong, that is only the case in regards to the best new artist. There is no oscar for best new movie. Categories such as album, record and song of the year reward the actual music, best new artist is not specific therefore it should look at the big picture. I’m not saying the the JoBros should of even competed for album of the year, but in the best new artist category they were robbed

• Comment by Jamie posted February 09, 2009 at 10:37

Yo I’m on my phone so I can’t comment on your blog but I wanted to note something.

While the jobro’s immense success still astounds me, at the end of the day, adele’s music was the undeniable winner. If this were a show on popularity (peoples choice) then obvi I would go jo. But Adeles “19″ is one of the most heartwrenchingly soulful albums I’ve heard all year, so I think she def deserved her nods.

Album of the year was robbed from Radiohead. Robbed. Even though Robby plant and alison krauss are AMAZING together and their album kicked butt, Radiohead did huge things with that record and deserved to be noted.

Anywho, grammys are grammys. Someday well be voting. (:

Xo

• Comment by Anonymous posted February 09, 2009 at 11:01

Jonas Brothers blow asshole Greg is right

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 11:03

The category isn’t most popular new artist it is BEST new artist, that is a ranking of skill, it is absurd to think that hype of a band should warrant victory in the category, they were not the clear winner, they couldnt even make it through a performance with out screwing up.

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 11:04

Amen to Anonymous

• Comment by Harris posted February 09, 2009 at 11:08

I hate anonymous, show yourself, lol

Also, how are you defining “best” in this instance? You can’t tell me that ticket sales, album sales and hype don’t contribute to someone being the “best.” There performance was really good, trust me if you were standing next to Stevie Wonder you would be a little nervous too.

• Comment by David posted February 09, 2009 at 11:09

have to agree with greg and anonymous, we’re not watching the nick awards anymore (theres no gak or goo or whatever), this is the big time. joblows might be good to lil’ 11 year old’s who have no taste, but the music industry respects artists like Adele who put out good thoughtful music.

• Comment by Anonymous posted February 09, 2009 at 11:14

i shall request a domain name change…

htt://harrisfalse.blogspot.com

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 11:24

Um, do you read the comments? i clearly stated that “best” is a ranking of skill, not ticket sales, not album sales, skill. Just because an artist is popular does not mean that they are the best, if you would notice the top 10 albums of last year you would see that Robert Plant and Allison Cross isnt even on it, yet they still won both album and record of the year, rightfully so.

• Comment by Melanie posted February 09, 2009 at 11:25

This is all so vicious.. you guys are all hating on the Jonas Brothers cuz you’re jealous that the 15 year olds you’re crushing on love them so much :P Considering their faces are EVERYWHERE, I would say they are doing pretty damn well for themselves as new artists. How can someone be the “best” if they’ve barely even been talked about/seen/heard of. She (Adele) might be great, but they (Jonas Brothers) are too (whether you all personally like their music or not).

P.S. Not a popularity contest?!?!?! Do you really believe those are the only people who contributed to the music world last year? They are the MOST POPULAR people that contributed. Also, lots of people won multiple things, to me that is the epitomy of high school superlative BS.

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 11:35

I mean, that comment is just all types of wrong, who won multiple things? o yea thats right Robert Plant and Allison Kraus, and whats funny about that? that their album sales were less than the other nominees, so clearly it wasnt a popularity contest, that it was given to the BEST artist. You cannot argue that is was a popularity contest, and have your only point for your case as they were the most popular, cause clearly that had nothing to do with it. Adele is just a better artist than the Jonas Brothers, and so she won the award, stop being bitter about it.

• Comment by Harris posted February 09, 2009 at 11:37

Honestly, I agree with you. Adele is a better singer, writer, etc, but there has to be some clause in the award that accounts for all the other things that make an artist great. Also you misread my above comment. I was telling you that there was no determining variable for the word “best,” I wasn’t asking you what you were basing it off

• Comment by Melanie posted February 09, 2009 at 11:40

If 14 year olds were the voting panel it would have been a popularity contest in favor of the Jonas Brothers. Maybe to the panel Robert Plant and Allison Kraus are “popular” because they appreciate that type of music more. It’s all perception. I’m not bitter, I’m just making a point. What really qualifies anyone to vote for the “best” of anything? No one is every going to agree on what is “best” or “popular”.

• Comment by Greg posted February 09, 2009 at 11:41

and there is, Adele had to be a least a little popular to even be nominated, they dont just go handing out the award to anybody with a guitar, thousands of people had voted in this, and Adele came out on top, as it should be.

• Comment by Natalie posted February 09, 2009 at 11:51

I just want to comment how I was the only one to vote for Adele’s Chasing Pavements for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Yaaaah.

And my comment about the Jonas Brothers last night still stands today.

• Comment by Melanie posted February 09, 2009 at 11:55

Oh, and Lady Gaga “Just Dance” absolutely should have won best dance song… I mean, come on. So mad about that one. I love that song.

• Comment by Harris posted February 09, 2009 at 11:56

Taking a cue from Melanie, what were the other big upsets of the Grammys for everyone??

• Comment by katy posted February 09, 2009 at 14:24

i think the distinction needs to be made between best, popular and mainstream. people keep using these terms interchangeably..

best
    –adjective, superl. of good with better as compar.
    1. of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
    2. most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
    3. largest; most: the best part of a day.

pop⋅u⋅lar
       /ˈpɒpyələr/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pop-yuh-ler] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective
    1. regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general: a popular preacher.
    2. regarded with favor, approval, or affection by an acquaintance or acquaintances: He’s not very popular with me just now.
    3. of, pertaining to, or representing the people, esp. the common people: popular discontent.
    4. of the people as a whole, esp. of all citizens of a nation or state qualified to participate in an election: popular suffrage; the popular vote; popular representation.
    5. prevailing among the people generally: a popular superstition.
    6. suited to or intended for the general masses of people: popular music.
    7. adapted to the ordinary intelligence or taste: popular lectures on science.
    8. suited to the means of ordinary people; not expensive: popular prices on all tickets.

main⋅stream
       /ˈmeɪnˌstrim/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [meyn-streem] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend: the mainstream of American culture.
    –adjective
    3. belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist.

it all depends on which type of music you think the grammys celebrates.

i totally wanted i’m yours to win rather than say. ew

• Comment by Harris posted February 09, 2009 at 23:38

I think in general the grammys celebrate best music in specific categories. This one category is different though. It does not read: “Best Album by a New Artist,” or “Best Record by a New Artist.” It simply reads “Best New Artist,” in that case you are forced to look at all the aspects of music, not only the musical integrity, but the reach of said music.